Vantage® UFI Ultrafiltration Systems
Manufacturer: Evoqua Water Technologies
Vantage® UFI ultrafiltration systems from Evoqua Water Technologies offer a robust system designed to remove suspended solids and organic impurities from a variety of different water streams.
Smaller footprint by replacing multiple conventional treatment steps into one filtration step. Fewer chemicals with less waste, resulting in lower operating costs.
Designed to remove suspended solids and organic impurities from a variety of different water streams. Ultrafiltration (UF) offers the following benefits over conventional technologies:
• Superior protection of downstream equipment (i.e. RO systems) to reduce fouling and extend equipment life
• UF membranes provide a physical and verifiable barrier to remove suspended solids
• Consistent quality regardless of feed water conditions
• SDI's typically less than 2
• Smaller footprint by replacing multiple conventional treatment steps into one filtration step
• Fewer chemicals with less waste, resulting in lower operating costs
At the heart of the Vantage® UFI system is the Vantage LPU (low pressure ultrafiltration) module. Multibore fibers are bound together to form a filter module encapsulated into an economical low-pressure PVC housing. The unique design of the module reduces external piping and pipe supports by integrating the feedwater manifolds into the end cap of each module. Through an annular gap between the shell and distribution pipe, filtrate is collected or backwash is introduced into the module. This results in a nearly constant radial velocity across the module diameter leading to:
• Minimized fouling due to an efficient backwash impulse over the total module cross section
• Guaranteed module integrity since no o-rings are used to separate the feed from the filtrate side
• Minimized process related movements thereby reduced mechanical strain on the fibers and maximized life expectancy
Ultrafiltration (UF) membrane technology combines seven single capillaries into one durable membrane fiber. This construction significantly enhances the physical strength and reliability of the membrane, virtually eliminating fiber breakage. With a nominal pore size of 0.02 microns, the UF membrane efficiently removes turbidity, particulates, bacteria, and pathogens delivering consistently high-quality water, independent of changes in the raw water quality. The modified polyethersulfone (PES) membrane is durable over a wide pH range and highly resistant to fouling by organic matter. Evoqua Water Technologies offers two options of fiber diameters (0.9 mm and 1.5 mm fiber) that are optimized for your feed water. In general terms, the 0.9 mm fiber is used for source waters with average turbidities < 50 NTU (peak 100 NTU). The 1.5 mm fiber is used on higher turbidity waters (average > 50 NTU, peak 250 NTU) or for backwash waste recovery (water savings) applications.